Monday, September 28, 2015

Pauline Santos BIO




BIO
Pauline G. Santos

My grandfather Ricardo was an artist who sculpted and made shoes.  I assume that is where I got my talent for painting.
I came to America from the Philippines in 1974 when I was 16 years old.  One summer day, my friend in high school, Akiko, invited me to go for oil painting lessons.  My passion for painting and art was born in a basement in Forest Hills, Queens, New York -- where Ms. Leeds taught me how to mix linseed oil with paint and all the basics of oil painting.
I worked all my life right after high school until I quit my last office job in 2000.  I worked on many jobs in corporate America, but I continued to paint after work at night and on weekends.  When I was painting back then, I noticed that my best works of art were those that I painted unconsciously, or should I say, without being self-conscious.  I would often be amazed at the detailed work on the finished painting.  How did I do that?  As if I was just channeling, not working.
I'm now 57 years old.  After bouts of mental illness, I've experienced a new awakening as I’ve matured and recovered.  This new perspective has made me paint more deliberately, conscious of the message I am imparting in my work.  I now create acrylic paintings that cover topics, such as poverty and the colonial effects in the Third World – juxtaposing different levels of status and class.  But my subject is diverse, so I also work on non-native style art.
As far as education, I studied Cultural Anthropology at Hunter College in New York City.  You see, I am also very passionate about Darwin's Theory of Evolution.  I think that an understanding of pre-history, indigenous, and the birth of the universe as we know it now -- is very relevant to understanding our plight as modern humans.

Pauline G. Santos


No comments:

Post a Comment